Diversity and Inclusion work is about transformative progress. The power of collective impact matched with the passion, personal commitment and personal responsibility of individuals and small groups is vital.
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion has developed two volunteer teams — Diversity Ambassadors for students, and Diversity Champions for faculty and staff — to assist in building a more diverse and inclusive campus culture and climate. Ambassadors and Champions serve as leaders in rallying the U of A collegiate family together behind the cause and are our biggest cheerleaders in reaching our end goal ofInclusive Excellence.
Both teams — student Ambassadors and faculty/staff Champions — are essential partners in growing diversity and inclusion efforts across campus through deliberate efforts to identify areas of concern and success, assist recruitment and retention efforts for faculty, staff and students from underrepresented populations and areas and create a more inclusive environment for all faculty staff and students.
The role of Diversity Ambassadors and Champions is:
- To assist in maintaining awareness of issues, needs, and concerns related to D & I and helping the Office for D & I to keep its finger on the pulse of what is happening and or emerging that relates to diversity and inclusion successes and concerns.
- To assist in making internal and external stakeholders aware of the progress the UA makes with regard to D & I.
- To assist the campus in recruitment and retention efforts related to faculty, staff and students from underrepresented populations and geographies.
- To serve as leaders that actively assist the campus in efforts to create an inclusive and diverse culture and climate.
- To hold the office for D & I accountable in progress towards the stated goals.
STUDENT AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
With over 27,000 enrolled students at the U of A, the student population represents our largest group of change agents, by far. Our office is looking for U of A students who are committed to moving our campus forward towards a more diverse and inclusive culture and climate.
We encourage Student Ambassadors to own the process and make this a student-driven effort. Solution-focused perspectives are among our most valuable assets. The Student Ambassador program is open to all undergraduate, graduate and online students — both on and off campus.
Students interested in joining the Student Ambassador program can contact our office or reach out to the faculty advisor Stephanie Adams at email@example.com.
DIVERSITY CHAMPIONS PROGRAM
Our faculty and staff are often on the front lines for recognizing and addressing diversity matters — they lead our classrooms, they facilitate programs, they mentor on a daily basis, and they engage with a number of people from various backgrounds at any given time. The influence of faculty and staff on our campuses and beyond is undeniable.
We want to turn that influence and impact into assets that can help us achieve our diversity and inclusion goals. As Champions for diversity at the state's flagship university, faculty and staff light the path toward our destination to Inclusive Excellence. The Faculty and Staff Diversity Champion program is open to all full-time and part-time faculty and staff.
Faculty and staff members interested in joining the Diversity Champions program can contact our office or complete and return our Diversity Champions Membership form.